Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary
Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary is at a distance of 3 kilometers from Srirangapatana which is a great religious (famous for Srirangapatana temple built in the 9 th century, an important Vaishnavite centers of pilgrimage), cultural and historical town (was also the capital of Tipu Sultan and Hyder Ali) in Mandya District of Karnataka Sate, India.
Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary comprises of six islets on the banks of the river Kaveri. The islets were formed as a result of the embankment built across the river Kaveri in 1648 by the then Mysore King, Wodeyar. Centuries later, Dr. Salim Ali, (an Indian ornithologist and naturalist, known as the “birdman of India” , the force behind the movement to prevent the destruction of what is now the Silent Valley National Park), found that these isles formed a major nesting ground for birds, and persuaded the Wodeyar kings of Mysore in 1940 to get these areas declared as a bird sanctuary.
Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary is spread across an area of 40 acres, which makes it one of the largest and most popular bird sanctuaries in the state. Around 170 species of birds are found in the Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary.
Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary is closed during floods and watching birds from a distance is allowed during floods.
Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary is around 20 kilometers north of Mysore which is well connected by road and train. MYS is the code for Mysore Junction station on irctc.co.in, the official Indian Railways Ticket Booking Site.
The nearest airport is Bangalore, at 140 kilometers away.