Gavi, a heaven of Misty Paradise with forests, lakes, water falls, etc, in the Western Ghats, situated in Kerala State, India. Gavi is re-opening its doors to tourists from December 2018, after the recent floods damaged the infrastructure facilities, including roads and electricity lines.
Gavi – The Gateway to the World of Wilderness
Alistair International‘ has listed Gavi as the leading Eco-Tourism center in India and a must see place in India.
Gavi offers unparalleled experience for a tourist. Unadulterated Nature at its best!”
Tiger, leopards, bear, elephants and many other inhabitants of the beast can be seen on your jungle safari drive to Gavi. There are 3 dams and a check dam, on your way to this place from Pathanamthitta town.
Facilities for Trekking, Bird watching, Wild life watching, etc, are there. Tree top accommodation and Boating inside Gavi lake on small Coracles (bowl-shaped boats) are available. You may visit the cardamom factories int he area. There is a spot from where one can view the world famous Sabarimala temple clearly. Local people are involved as guides, cooks, gardeners, etc. That way, they earn their livelihood from nature and became more involved in protecting the nature.
The scenic route passes over the Five dams namely; Moozhiyar, Kakki, Anathode, Pampa and Gavi Dams. Gavi Kerala Tour package is one among the Best Kerala tourism packages available.
Mega Hit Malayayalam Movie Ordinary – Shooting Location
The mega hit Malayalam movie ‘Ordinary’ (an Indian regional language film) was shot here, which was released in 2012.
How Do I Go to Gavi?
If you are coming from Pathanamthitta, You have to book Gavi entry pass. Entry fee is Rupees 60 per person for Indians. Those below 13 years of age does not need entry pass. Foreigners are charged Rupees 120 per person. (revised fare as on last quarter of 2018.) Only 100 people are allowed per day.
Two wheeler entry is prohibited. Those who are coming by two wheeler needs to park their vehicles near the Angamuzhy Forest Range Office and go by bus.
50 vehicle passes are issued daily, from November 2018. 75 % of vehicle passes are reserved for those holding online booking. The remaining 25 % of vehicle passes are for those who comes straight to Goodrical Forest Range Office with vehicles.
Entry for private vehicle is allowed from 8.30 am to 11 am only. Entry point is the Ticket Counter at office of Goodrical Forest Range Officer at Angamuzhy (around 45 kilometers from Pathanamthitta). You have to pay the entry fee and get the actual pass, after producing the online booking acceptance details (applicable to those with online entry pass).
Private Vehicles must cross the Anathode Forest Check post before 2.30 pm on the same day and should leave through Vallakkadavu Check post before 6 pm, the same day.
It is best to go from Pathanamthitta by a Jeep. Car journey, especially small cars, is not advisable as the ghat roads are often damaged.
If you are coming from Vandiperiyar, the entry pass can be collected from Kerala Forest Department office at Vandiperiyar.
KSRTC (Kerala State Road Transport Corporation) Buses to Gavi
Kerala State Road Transport Corporation buses are also available to those who prefer to go by public transport. Bus journey does not require entry passes. The first bus starts at 6.30 am from Pathamanthitta K.S.R.T.C. Bus station. It reaches Gavi by 11 am. Charges are 77 rupees per ticket (This is subject to change and please check the charges at your end). The same bus goes to Kumali from Gavi and returns to Gavi in the afternoon. This bus then goes back to Pathanamthitta. The second bus from Pathanamthitta to Gavi is at 12.30, in the afternoon. It reaches Gavi by 5 pm.
Buses from Gavi to Pathanamthitta are at 7 am and 2.30 pm.
K.S.R.T.C. Buses from Kumaly to Gavi are at 5.45 am and 1.20 pm.
Is Accommodation Available at Gavi?
Gavi Forests are part of the Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary.
Kerala government undertaking, Kerala Forest Development Corporation, provides accommodation in Eco tents, as part of Kerala Tourism packages. KFDC Gavi Ecotourism website gives all the required details on this.
It is advisable to carry food for those on day trips, as there are very few options available. There is a small restaurant run by K.T.D.C. at Kochu Pampa, 10 kilometers ahead of Gavi. Some other small eateries / food stalls are also there at different places en-route. But availability is limited to those who comes first.
Are you interested in going to Gavi and enjoy the beauty of nature? It is advisable to combine your Gavi trip with a night’s stay at Thekkedy and explore Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary there, on the next day. Please leave your comments.