Bhimtal Lake is a “C” shaped lake at Bhimtal in Nainital district. It is situated in the “Lake district of India” in Kumaon region of Uttarakhand state, India. The lake is habitat for a variety of fish species.IT is the largest lake in Nainital district.
There is a dam at an altitude of around 1,375 meters in the lake, which was built in 1883. It has a height of 14.8 meters, 48.5 feet. It has a length of 150 meters (500 feet).
A perennial stream water feeds the lake from the western side. There is a peripheral road along the banks of Bhimtal lake. You can watch the rich aquatic life of the lake, while going through this road. There is a small island in the middle of the lake, which is developed into a tourist destination. An aquarium is also there in this island.
Bhima, one among the five brothers known as “Pandavas” of the Great epic of Mahabharata, is believed to have visited this place. During the 17th century, Raja Baj Bahadur Chand of Kumaon Regime built a temple and named it as Bhismeswara temple. It is named after Bhima.
The stored water from the dam is released through an outlet into the Gola River. It is used to supplement the flows of the Bhabar canals.
A shopping center is situated on the southern shore of the lake.There are a lot of residential areas along the banks of the lake. The lake water is being polluted due to the residential complexes which sprang along the lake banks.
At the northern end of the lake, there is a prison camp. It was established in 1902, to house Second Boer War (11 October 1899 – 31 May 1902) prisoners.
Wildlife around Bhimtal Lake
Barking deer is a wild animal commonly seen in this area. Some of the birds seen are Kalij pheasants, Koklass pheasants, white capped laughingthrush, etc. Migratory ducks and geese also flock to the lake.
How Do I Go to Bhimtal Lake?
Bhimtal is at a distance of around 21 kilometers from Nainital town. Haldwani town is at around 27 kilometers from the lake.
Bhimtal Hotels and Bhimtal Resorts
There are cottages and hotels in the forest area, situated along the western side of the lake.